This Weekend: Jill Zarin, Demetri Martin, Interpol, Brazilian Film Festival
- Starting today, the Maya Indie Film Series brings cinema Latina to West Dade's Regal 18. See Trópico de Sangre -- a Dominican historical biopic starring Michelle Rodriguez -- and Backyard, a Mexican thriller about the Juárez femicides starring Jimmy Smits.
- Promoting Jewish-on-Jewish nuptials, Real Housewife of New York, Jill Zarin, will discuss her book Secrets of a Jewish Mother today at Books & Books. Read our Q&A with Zarin here.
- In our interview with Demetri Martin, he told us how went from law school, to proofreading, to joke-telling. He brings his comedy routine to the Fillmore tonight. Expect graphs and pointer sticks.
Turn on the bright nights and take the next exit to see the indie
rock antics of Interpol at the Fillmore. We love to admire them so
much, we even wrote an entire feature on them: No Jackets Required.
- New York disco-pop outfit the Golden Filter plays Grand Central.
Now would be a good time to suggest an alternative to the word
- The Brazil Film Festival comes to a close on Saturday with a
performance of Brazilian singer-songwriter Maria Gadú at the Lincoln
- Just in time for all the Wyclef Jean buzz, a classic piece of
Kreyol literature, Masters of Dew will be staged by the Miami-Dade
Auditorium. The play, directed by Jan Mapou, owner of Miami's popular
Haitian bookstore Libreri Mapou, will be presented in Kreyol and English
with live music by Kiki Wainwright.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.