The Ten Best Things to Do in Miami This Memorial Day Weekend
Janette Valentine/Terribly Girly Photography
And so it begins again: Miami's annual summertime bacchanal, the three-day festival of booze, music, and more tourists than you can shake your booty at that is Memorial Day Weekend. Welcome to the vacation thunderdome.
We all know what the out-of-towners will be doing this weekend -- cruising up and down Ocean Drive, sipping frozen drinks from giant plastic cups, wearing clothing that counts as bizarre even by Miami standards. The real question is, will you join them? Will you avoid them? Or will you throw up your hands and get the hell outta here?
Option three is a cop-out. Here are ten reasons to stick around.
- Kingdom: Make room on the dance floor. Kingdom comes.
- Pinned Miami: Pin-up girls, burlesque, pin-up girls, vintage cars, pin-up girls, tattoos, and did we mention pin-up girls?
- The Great God Pan: Acclaimed playwright Amy Herzog's work returns to Miami with this intense, emotional show at the Arsht.
- SOFLO Prints & Publications: This paper-focused art show brings together Other Electricities, Vice Versa Press, Tom Virgin, Julia Arredondo, the O, Miami Poetry Festival and the New World School for the Arts. And you thought there'd be nothing cultured to do this weekend.
- Jewel's Squeaky Wheels Get the Grease Fundraiser: Churchill's has changed hands, but the killer shows keep coming.
- Miami Inferno vs. Missouri Voodoo: Because right now, indoor football is the only kind of football we've got. (Soccer doesn't count.)
- Blackalicious: Recite the alphabet faster than Blackalicious. We dare you.
- Memorial Day Comedy Festival: The South Beach mayhem crosses onto the mainland, and nobody complains because they're too busy laughing.
- Cannes Film Festival Closing Ceremony: Boo Ryan Gosling from afar at Baoli Miami's live streaming event.
- Floyd Mayweather: In the battle of You vs. Memorial Day Weekend, you have won. Might as well finish things off in the company of a badass fighter.
Follow Ciara on Twitter: @ciaralavelle.
Get the Arts Newsletter
Weekly information on all the on goings in the art and event world. Find out what the hot trends are and what's happening this week in our Arts newsletter. Coming Soon.