The Best Things to Do in Miami This Weekend
Photo by Chris Carter
The best time of the week is finally here — the weekend. The next three days are filled with music, art, and boozy beverages galore. From Coral Gables to Little Havana to South Beach, these are the best places to be until the sun comes up Monday morning.
Courtesy of Arts Radio Network Theatre Project
- Sci-Fi Summer: Live Radio Plays From the Golden Age of Radio at the Seminole Theatre: On October 30, 1938, Orson Welles broadcast a dramatic radio adaptation of H.G. Wells’ War of the Worlds. Nearly 80 years later, local public broadcasting station WLRN is reviving retro radio scripts onstage at the Seminole Theatre in downtown Homestead as part of its series Sci-Fi Summer: Live Radio Plays From the Golden Age of Radio. This Friday night, catch Plan 9 From Outer Space.
- '90s Flashback Fest and '90s Costume Contest at Churchill's Pub: Churchill's Pub remembers the '90s very well, and the legendary bar and live music venue wants to test your '90s knowledge with an old-fashioned costume contest. Well, it's more than that — it's a full-on '90s Flashback Fest and '90s Costume Contest, taking place this Friday from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- "Wonderism" at FIU Miami Beach Urban Studios: Land, air, and water form the parts that bind this seemingly disparate array of images. Rainy streets, cloudy skies over barren suburban alleyways, and sepia skylines are all subjects of Robert Zuckerman’s latest exhibit of archival-quality, limited-edition prints. The show’s title is also a play on the word "terrorism," suggesting that the only way to fight the cynicism and hatred taking hold of the world is to have a childlike sense of wonder and discovery toward even the most quotidian subjects.
- Coolpad Snow Day at Bayside Marketplace: This Saturday, Bayside Marketplace will get a whole lot cooler with games and activities built around the theme of a wintery wonderland. There will be sledding and snowball fights, plus plenty of photo ops to take selfies with Coolpad products. You might even get to hang out in a giant snow globe.
Anjelah Johnson: See Friday.
Courtesy of Generate LA
- Anjelah Johnson at Magic City Casino: Making edgy comedy means walking a fine line, poking fun at taboo subjects without offensively "punching down" at vulnerable communities. Only a few comics have the skill to navigate that narrow territory. Anjelah Johnson is one. She blends edge with safety for a show that's suitable for almost the whole family.
- Second Saturday Art Walk in the Wynwood Arts District: Sure, it’s still all about the art (just more in a figurative sense), but let’s face it — Second Saturday Art Walk has basically become Wynwood’s monthly block party on NW Second Avenue between NW 27th and NW 23rd Streets.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.