The Best Things to Do in Miami This Weekend
Photo by Ashley Sebok
The best time of the week is finally here — the weekend — and Miami offers just about every activity. It’s three days of a festive cacophony of music, art, and frosty libations. It's also the return of the Miami Flea, where you can find locally designed clothing and accessories, potted orchids and succulents, antique furniture, vintage records, and many other items.
Photo by Jenny Fernandez / Fuxion Studio
- Swyngwood at Toejam Backlot: Swing dancing might be old-school, but it's an art form that transcends eras. And if you've never tried it, now is the time to get your wingtip-wearing feet wet. Swyngwood is an old-meets-new experience, featuring some of the area’s swing enthusiasts and toe-tapping performers. It’s the perfect place to try your grandma's favorite dance style — no partner necessary.
It's like Night at the Museum but during the day.
Coaurtesy of the Wolfsonian-FIU
- Museum Day at the Wolfsonian-FIU: Adding to the list of national cultural holidays like Record Store Day (April), Free Comic Book Day (May), and Independent Bookstore Day (May), the seventh-annual Art Museum Day takes place in late May. Usually, participating museums open their doors for free — sometimes for extended hours — to encourage people to experience art in real life. This year, the Wolfsonian-FIU is not only participating in the event but also adding a range of enticing perks. The South Beach museum will be open for free for almost 12 hours this Friday. Guests who visit that day will also receive a 10 percent discount in the museum shop and café, and museum membership will be offered at a 25 percent discount. Attendees who tag #ArtMuseumDay and @wolfsonian on Instagram will receive free coffee and a Wolfsonian mug.
Photo by World Red Eye / Courtesy of the Wolfsonian–FIU
- Free Art Fridays at Miami: Every Friday, artists hide their work around the city, and whoever finds it gets to take it home for free. To participate, the rules are simple: Make a work of art you’re willing to give away. Then leave it somewhere in the city, along with your name (artistic nickname or otherwise) and the local chapter’s information (the site has a printable QR code, or artists can include the Facebook page URL). Next, post clues on the Facebook page to help Free Art Fridays (FAF) members find your work.
Photo by Jason Koerner / Courtesy of A+E District
- Shake 108 Music and Comedy Fest at the Wynwood Yard: The nonprofit FM radio station mixes things up, playing everything from hip-hop to reggae to pop to indie. But it needs your help. That's where the Shake 108 Music & Comedy Fest comes in. To raise funds for its operations, the station is staging an evening packed with entertainment at the Wynwood Yard. Expect live performances by Bachaco, SunGhosts, and Agave Blue; DJ sets by DJ Le Spam and Tom Laroc; and performances by ten comedians. Proceeds go toward funding the daily business of radio revolution.
- Bottle Release at J. Wakefield Brewing: This Saturday, the local brewery will release three limited-edition brews designed for summertime sipping. There's Wasting Away, a Berliner Weisse aged in mezcal barrels with pink himalayan salt and kaffir lime zest; Haboob Hits Miami, a Flanders ale brewed with fresh Balaton cherries; and Every Gose Has Its Thornes, a coriander-and-ruby-red-grapefruit-flavored gose. World Famous House of Mac will serve Chef Teach's remixed traditional dishes to soak up all the suds.
- Silent Disco at the Wynwood Yard: Enjoy an outdoor party with amazing music curated by Sound Off Experience DJs.
- Music From the Heart of the World at the Sacred Space Miami: Tina Malia is a visionary musical artist. Her sonic creations span world, dream pop, and sacred music genres. A prolific singer, songwriter, instrumentalist, and producer, she expresses her radiant inner landscape through song.
Courtesy of Thyme at Carillon Miami Beach
- For the Love of Brunch at the Wynwood Yard: Sundays were made for brunch. This week, celebrity chef Richard Ingraham, who spends most of his time cooking for Miami Heat’s Dwyane Wade, will host his first brunch at the Wynwood Yard. The menu is eclectic, fusing South Beach flair with simple and straightforward bites.
Photo by Jason Koerner / Courtesy of A+E District
- The Miami Flea at Canvas Miami: The recurring local market returns to the open patch of grass at 1440 N. Miami Ave. in Miami this Sunday with wares of all sorts on display. Expect locally designed clothing and accessories, potted orchids and succulents, antique furniture, vintage records, and many other items. The Bookleggers crew will be on hand with its give-a-book, take-a-book pop-up library.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.