The best time of the week is finally here — the weekend — and Miami offers just about every activity. It’s three days of festive cacophony of music, art, and frosty tropical libations. Be sure to stop by Wynwood Life, a ten-block festival in the heart of the Wynwood Arts District that will feature live music, fashion shows, and artists showcasing their talents.
- Earth Day Yoga at Miami Beach Botanical Garden: Prepare to namaste your way into the biggest yoga-centric event of the year. In honor of Earth Day, journey into the Miami Beach Botanical Garden’s green spaces, where local yoga teachers Hilary Packin and Amy Dannheim will join forces to lead an outdoor music and yoga event.
- Poetry Press Week at Mana Wynwood: Happening this weekend is Poetry Press Week, a collection of events that focus on new works by emerging and established poets. The wordsmiths recite their pieces in front of an audience full of publishers, media mavens, and ordinary folks.
- Wynwood Life at RC Cola Plant: The annual Wynwood Life festival has become a popular experience because it incorporates four cultural elements: art, music, food, and fashion. The free event, which stretches more than ten blocks in the heart of Wynwood, features two stages of live music, fashion shows, and artists showcasing their skills.
- Friendship Walk at Museum Park: As The Wonder Years theme song reminds us, we all get by with a little help from our friends. That’s why Best Buddies is an awesome cause. The nonprofit organization raises awareness and provides funds to support individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Buddies offer friendship, encouragement, and advocacy. The organization’s annual Friendship Walk is the perfect opportunity to show support.
- Redland Blues & Barbecue Festival at Fruit & Spice Park: For the sixth year in a row, the Fruit & Spice Park (24801 SW 187th Ave., Homestead) will host the weekend-long Redland Blues & Barbecue Festival. In addition to offering delectable food — like three kinds of ribs, conch fritters, and funnel cakes — the family-friendly fest features children’s activities such as a petting zoo and pony rides.
- The Hialeah Bike Tour at New Milander Center for Arts & Entertainment: In case you missed it, Hialeah — or simply “Leah” to those hip with the lingo — is the new hot spot in Miami-Dade. A local group called ¿Que Pasa, Hialeah?, which organizes bimonthly meetups, is dedicated to sharing the love for that city. Partnering with Engage Miami, the group will host a guided bike ride through the colorful streets of the neighborhood.
- Meet Me in the Dark 5K and Music Festival at North Miami Athletic Stadium: Run, walk, or crawl the 5K course with your friends covered in glow gear and lights. Dance your way to the finish line, where the music festival and party begin. Enjoy beats courtesy of DJ Moodswing, DJ Miracle, DJ Beatz, Patrick Pizzorni, DJ Supersede, Melanie Fontana, Damaged Goods, and others.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Poetic Consumption: A Date Night With Gertrude Stein at the Little Farm House: Mama told you not to talk with your mouth full, but she didn’t tell you not to fill your mouth with prose. The Little Farm House (281 NE 84th St., Miami) invites you to a once-in-a-lifetime dining experience inspired by the legendary work of American author Gertrude Stein. Chef Evan Hanczor of Brooklyn restaurant Egg has composed a five-course meal from Stein’s seminal work, 1914’s lyrical Tender Buttons.
- Esperanza Spalding at Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts: Fans of jazz and funk, prepare yourselves for the return of Grammy-winning Esperanza Spalding. The singer will perform her latest album, Emily’s D+Evolution, this Sunday onstage at the Knight Concert Hall inside the Adrienne Arsht Center.
- Fashion Happy Hour at the Catalina Hotel & Beach Club: This Sunday, Fashion Happy Hour will host its monthly mixer of local vendors, fashion bloggers, and industry pros. Fashion photographer, designer, and blogger Angeles Almuna will play hostess with the mostest at the Catalina Hotel. DJ duo Lightning & Production Miami will command the soundwaves for the night, followed by a live performance by JukeBox Heroes.
- The Mahler Legacy: The Song of the Earth at New World Center: Conductor Michael Tilson Thomas returns to offer his unrivaled interpretation of composer Gustav Mahler. Penned during the most despondent time in Mahler’s life, "The Song of the Earth" is a personal reflection of his pain and relentless reminiscing, giving voice to his loneliness and surrender to mortality.