The Best Things to Do in Miami This Weekend
Photo by Amadeus McCaskill
The best time of the week is finally here — the weekend — and Miami offers just about every activity. It’s three days of festive cacophony of music, art, and frosty tropical libations. Be sure to check out Ocean Drive this weekend for the annual Miami Beach Gay Pride Festival. Read on to see what else to do this weekend.
Courtesy of NOW at FIU
- Miami SlutWalk at FIU Stadium (Modesto Maidique campus): Florida International University’s fourth-annual Miami SlutWalk is part of a worldwide movement to put an end to rape culture. The concept began in 2011 when a Toronto police officer actually spoke these words: “Women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized.” Oh. Hell. No. FIU’s edition will raise funds for Men and Women United in Justice, Education, and Reform (MUJER), a rape and domestic-violence crisis center. Sluts unite.
- The Two-Character Play at Miami Theater Center: The Two-Character Play — released decades after Tennessee Williams' most famous work, A Streetcar Named Desire — tells the story of Felice and Claire, a brother and sister who are both actors. But while on tour, their theater company abandons the siblings. Together, the two reenact a play within a play, subsequently grappling with their art, professions, and sanity.
- Miami Noise Machine: The Improvised Musical at the Fillmore Miami Beach: With the Miami Noise Machine, it’s not the rhythm that will get you, but the jokes set to music made up on the spot. This Friday, the Gleason Room will host a unique comedy and improv experience. The actors from Villain Theater will combine their love of Broadway and Chicago-style long-form to create the Miami Noise Machine.
© Felix Becerra, Miami Beach Gay Pride / Flickr CC
- Miami Beach Gay Pride on Ocean Drive: The eighth-annual Miami Beach Gay Pride Festival is more than just an opportunity to get drunk in the streets and dress in as many colors as possible. The event serves as an important cultural celebration. The mission of the weekend-long revelry is to unite members of the LGBTQ community, friends, and allies in a safe space that honors freedom of expression and a positive sense of self.
- La Fiesta Loca: Locals Party at the Wynwood Yard: Locos por Juana, Miami's two-time Grammy-nominated reggae fusion band, will headline La Fiesta Loca tonight. Special guests Uma Galera and DJs Main Event and Mr. Brown will join the band, along with other surprises. Fiestagoers can choose from local brews or specialty cocktails punctuated with fresh fruits and herbs crafted by Mortar & Pistil, the newly relaunched bar at the Yard. Purchase tickets at eventbrite.com.
Head to the Gleason Room to watch Why Not? With Richard Nixon this Saturday.
Photo by Oliver F. "Ollie" Atkins via National Archives
- Second Saturday Art Walk at Wynwood Walk: The Wynwood Art District galleries and studios will be open fro 7 to 10 p.m.
- Why Not? With Richard Nixon at the Gleason Room, Backstage at the Fillmore Miami Beach: As a part of its Home-Grown Comedy Week, Mad Cat Theatre Company presents Why Not? With Richard Nixon, a new comedy by company members Jessica Farr, Theo Reyna, and Paul Tei.
- Soul Pride Rides at SoulCycle South Beach: SoulCycle is putting the pride in its rides with a special class at the South Beach location. Join the spinners as they celebrate a weekend of love and equality. For more information, call 305-740-3601.
Courtesy of Wood Tavern
Backyard Boogie at Wood Tavern: Since it launched in 2012, the weekly bash has risen to the forefront of Miami’s Sunday-funday party scene. As you get drunk on $5 sangria and spiked lemonade, DJs spin old-school hip-hop while grillmasters fire up ribs, burgers, and vegetarian options.
Kulcha Shok Reggae Sundays at the Wynwood Yard: Miami’s popular Kulcha Shok Reggae Sundays, which has resided at Jazid for nine years, has a new home at the Wynwood Yard. Soak up tunes from some of the city's best live reggae bands and DJs. The first edition at its new spot happens this Sunday. Admission is free."
Mister Sister" Poolside Soiree at the Hall: In partnership with Out Miami, the Hall South Beach debuts its monthly poolside soiree, Mister Sister. Known for its supersize pool, the boutique hotel will feature sounds by DJ Sasha Lauzon and an all-out pride party.
1500 Collins Ave
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.