The Best Things to Do in Miami This Weekend
The best time of the week is finally here — the weekend — and Miami offers just about every activity. On the music front, you can catch Fur Coat at Trade, Mobb Deep at Churchill's Pub, Nicholas Matar at River Yacht Club, and Far East Movement at Nikki Beach's Electric Beach Six-Year Anniversary. Saturday, head to Miami Beach's Burger & Beer Joint for MTV's Real World casting call. Spend Sunday in North Miami's best gyms during the first Sweat Crawl, where attendees will visit the Fit Shop, Flywheel, Crossfit Armed, RF Sports Run, and Flying Lizard Yoga for back-to-back 25-minute classes.
Photo courtesy of Little Dreams Foundation
Little Dreams Foundation Gala: Dreaming on the Beach Charity Concert at the Fillmore Miami Beach: Phil Collins canceled his performance at the 2014 Little Dreams Foundation Gala at the last minute because of illness, but the singer is back and promises the show will go on. More than a year has passed, and David
Frangion, the man behind the Little Dreams Foundation Gala, still maintains that "it will be a very special evening of music in Miami. I can say there will be music 'in the air' that night 'against all odds' and 'in paradise.'" We can only hope.
- Sinatra Sings Sinatra: A Multimedia Centennial Celebration at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts: From Frank Sinatra's 100th-birthday celebration at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach to the unveiling of HistoryMiami's "Sinatra: An America Icon" exhibit, the Magic City's Sinatra centennial celebration continues. The next best thing to 'Ol Blue Eyes himself: a concert by his only son, Frank Sinatra Jr.
The Heavy Pets will perform at Fractal Beach this year.
Photo courtesy of the band
- Fractal Beach at Virginia Key Beach Park: These days, the Heavy Pets play entire concerts of Beatles tracks. But as much as the Pets have enjoyed performing covers, the Boynton Beach-based band is extremely grateful for the group's Friday-night set at Miami's Fractal Beach.
- Fur Coat at Trade: It may be March in Miami, but every season is the right season for Fur Coat. So party it up with the Venezuelan DJ duo as Sergio Muñoz and Israel Sunshine bring their self-described "psychedelic tech-funk grooves and brooding intensity" to Trade.
Adam Lambert at Hard Rock Live: Adam Lambert has certainly come a long way since his American Idol days. Aside from having a very successful solo career — he released his third studio album, The Original High, last year, which debuted at number three on the U.S. Billboard 200 — the vocal powerhouse recently wrapped up a
worldtour as Queen's lead vocalist.
- MTV's Real World Casting Call at Burger & Beer Joint: The search is on for seven lucky strangers to become the newest stars of MTV’s iconic reality series, Real World. The casting call runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Applicants are asked to bring a recent picture of themselves and photo ID. You must be 21 years or older by June 2016 and appear to be between the ages of 20 and 24. For those who can’t make it to the open call, applications are still being accepted via email. Visit bmpcasting.com for more details.
- Miami Beach Garden Tour at Miami Beach Botanical Garden: Explore the private gardens of Miami Beach this spring at Miami Beach Botanical Garden. Bike or drive to six hidden oases, each with its own inspiring character and taste.
Far East Movement will perform at Electric Beach this year.
Photo by Meeno
- Electric Beach Six-Year Anniversary at Nikki Beach: Kick off the Miami Music Week madness with Electric Beach's Six-Year Anniversary bash, smack in the heart of SoBe at Nikki Beach. With bangers from AN21, Far East Movement, and the Cube Guys, expect to see plenty of models, bottles, and fist-pumping.
- Mobb Deep at Churchill's Pub: Mobb Deep has gone through its fair share of drama throughout the years – feuds, jail sentences, '90s-era violence, and ever-changing trends — but the Queens rap duo remains on top of its game. In 2014, Havoc and Prodigy celebrated the 20th anniversary of The Infamous — the album that gave the two Mobb members their rep — with the release of The Infamous Mobb Deep. The occasion sparked a tour, which brought Havoc and Prodigy to Miami's Bardot. This year, hip-hop's OGs will spit breaks at Churchill's when they make their 305 return.
Courtesy of the Fit Shop
- Sweat Crawl at the Fit Shop NMB: Five North Miami Beach fitness studios will come together for an afternoon of fun, fitness, and sweat. Start at the Fit Shop to organize teams and routes for the studio crawl. Each group will experience a series of five 20-minute workouts at various participating locations, including the Fit Shop, Flywheel, Crossfit Armed, RF Sports Run, and Flying Lizard Yoga. Groups will carpool around the city to each fitness location. All proceeds will benefit the JCS Kosher Food Bank & Lotus House. End the crawl at the Fit Shop with raffles, music, and fresh juices. Visit eventbrite.com.
- Nicolas Matar at River Yacht Club: Lebanese-born Matar is known for his music-first approach to the clubbing experience. He has been DJing since the age of 15, getting an early head start from his father, an original member of Studio 54. Matar goes on live at 6 p.m.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.