The best time of the week is finally here: the weekend. Miami offers just about every activity this weekend. On the music front, you can catch Marc Anthony at American Airlines Arena, Brendan O' Hara at the Annex Wynwood, and Gareth Emery at LIV. You can also take a Sunset Kayak Adventure around Pelican Island or see Jenny Lawson at Books & Books.
Here's a glimpse at what our city has to offer this weekend, so get up and get ready for another memorable, Miami-style weekend.
- Sunset Kayak Adventure at Crandon Park Visitors and Nature Center: Enjoy the sea birds soaring overhead as you paddle your way around Pelican Island and into the mangrove forest while the sun slowly sets. Then paddle back through the marina for a picturesque view: a horizon that blends the skyline and clouds, dotted with the silhouettes of boats.
Marc Anthony swings into town for two nights: See Friday.
Courtesy of the artist
- Anthony: Cambio del Piel at American Airlines Arena: Marc Anthony is a legend. When el salsero swept his way through the Magic City last year, he made every single person at the American Airlines Arena — even those with absolutely no rhythm — get up y bailar. As an artist who can make 20,000 people do la rueda, we can only imagine the tremenda pachanga that will go down at the AAA during his two-night stand in the 305.
Photo by Mike Laye
- The Jesus and Mary Chain at Olympia Theater: In celebration of the landmark LP's 30th anniversary, the postpunk darlings are traveling the world playing Psychocandy in its entirety, giving life to many of the tracks in a live setting for the first time.
- Brendan O' Hara at The Annex Wynwood: Celebrating the culmination of this latest masterpiece, the album release party will be moonlighted among the vintage treasures at the Annex in Wynwood, a Miami neighborhood as colorful as O’Hara’s sound. Enjoy specialty cocktails by Afrohead Rums, brews by Concrete Beach, limited edition screen prints, menu specials, and more.
5K PARK Fest at Virginia Key Beach: Get your running shoes ready for the 5K PARK Fest, an event filled with not only a 5K that participants are welcome to run or walk, but also yoga, Zumba, Stretch Zone, music, an auction, and an awards presentation.
- Jenny Lawson at Books & Books: Her candid manner of writing and her honest brutality have made her the Bokonon of the mental-illness jet set. Her latest offering, Furiously Happy, is a fun romp down the twisting pathways of her crippling depression and anxiety.
Courtesy of Gareth Emery
Gareth Emery at LIV: His 2012 song "Concrete Angel" became arguably the most popular trance track of all time, carving his name into the #trancefamily hall of fame.
- Popcorn Frights Film Festival: HOWL at O Cinema Wynwood: This outrageously gory comedy follows a struggling hitman whose upward mobility lands him at the dreaded position of Bad Guy #2 – a prominent but ultimately expendable character in the bad guy pantheon – leaving him no choice but to up his game or die violently at the hands of his emotionally erratic boss.
Photo by Jason Koerner
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
R.L. Lewis at Pinecrest Gardens: A new exhibition, “The Way We Worked,” explores the relationship between labor and communities. This Sunday, Lewis will talk about his recollections of the movement, give a live painting demonstration, and discuss how he made a living as an artist.
- Miami Flea at Canvas Miami: The folks at the city’s Arts + Entertainment District are behind the eclectic soiree, and the October edition promises to be bigger and better than its inaugural run.