The best time of the week is finally here — the weekend. Miami offers just about every activity this weekend. Get a taste of Oktoberfest at the Miami Beach Botanical Garden on Friday or celebrate American Indian Day at Miccosukee Resort & Gaming on Saturday. On the music front, you can catch Trick Daddy at Grand Central, Franck Roger at Electric Pickle, Feel the Spirit at The Garret at Grand Central, and teen heartthrob Nick Jonas at the Fillmore. Here's a glimpse at what our city has to offer this weekend, so get up and get ready for another memorable, Miami-style weekend.
- Oktoberfest at Miami Beach Botanical Garden: Who doesn’t love an excuse to drink too much beer and speak sloppy German? This year, Miami Beach Botanical Garden will host its first incarnation of the famous celebration. There will be lawn games; unlimited beer samplings from breweries such as Funky Buddha, Islamorada, and other local spots; plenty of food; and even a pie contest, with attendees voting for their faves.
- Flannel Beach Album Release Show at Gramps: The Doom Years compiles eight years of so-called Floridian mangrove punk into one 12-inch vinyl, whose sale proceeds will benefit the South Pointe Park Coral Nursery. Come through at 7 p.m. to catch an all-star jam from Ricardo Guerrero, Dino Felipe, and Rick Fantasies.
Photo by Barbara Rigon
- Marc Ribot at Miami-Dade County Auditorium On.Stage Black Box: Kicking off the season, guitarist Marc Ribot will perform an evening of works for solo guitar. Over the course of his 20 albums, Ribot has maneuvered through a range of genres and styles.
- Trick Daddy at Grand Central: Trick is a real Miami guy. He was born and raised in the 305. Now 41, he has repped the Magic City since 1973.
- Miccosukee Tribe Celebrates American Indian Day Event at Miccosukee Resort & Gaming: The event will feature a Miccosukee fashion show, spirit dancers, alligator wrestling, and genuine Indian arts and crafts, including the detailed craftsmanship of multicolored Miccosukee patchwork, bead-work, and jewelry. Guests can also enjoy amusement rides, airboat rides, and a performance by pop singer Jana Mashonee.
- Fashion Project Presents: American Gigolo at Fashion Project at Bal Harbour Shops: Richard Gere embodies style—and style to spare—in American Gigolo. As Lord Christopher Laverty explains, “Although costumed as a whole by Bernadene C. Mann, American Gigolo is all about [Giorgio] Armani."
- Franck Roger at Electric Pickle: Inspired by the enduring Chicago house legacy, the prolific DJ-producer and Real Tone Records boss has put out some of the finest international deep house cuts of the past 15 years.
Photo by Marc Baptiste
- Feel the Spirit at The Garret at Grand Central: While he would go on to an illustrious career as a producer, putting his Midas touch on chart-topping hits by the likes of Madonna and Whitney Houston, Benitez's artistic identity today remains firmly rooted in that golden era of nightlife he helped found.
Courtesy of the artist
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Weird Miami Bus Tour at Bas Fisher Invitational: Led by Haitian-born artist and muralist Serge Toussaint and locally bred sculptor Michael Loveland, hang out and drink to your heart’s content while these two strange and artistic minds explore the landscapes and people spots that inspire their work. Points of interest include botanicas, bakeries, auto parts stores, and secret alleyways.
- Nick Jonas at The Fillmore: His singles “Chains” — whose video was shot in Wynwood — and “Levels” are burning up the airwaves. The young singer will be in town to promote his self-titled debut solo album.