The best time of the week is finally here — the weekend. And Miami offers everything from a music and arts festival in Overtown, Questlove at Basement, and a Fashion Happy Hour at the Catalina Hotel. And if by chance you're a Harry Potter fanatic, there's a special harry-inspired tea party going on at Madi's Tea garden. Put on your party pants or grab your tea cups and get ready for another memorable, Miami-style weekend.
Courtesy of Facebook.com/MrChuckD
- Public Enemy at Liv: An unexpected ally has come to Bill Cosby's aid. Chuck D, the frontman of the socially conscious and politically aggressive '90s rap group Public Enemy, who will be at LIV this weekend.
- Red Nectar at Gramps: A four-piece act with Nina Souto on guitar and Chris Fallio on drums.
- 3 Doors Down at Pompano Beach Amphitheater: During their concert in Broomfield, Colorado last week, lead singer Brad Arnold abruptly stopped the show after seeing a man push a woman out of his way near the stage where the vocalist and his crew were performing. Mad respect to you, Arnold.
Courtesy of Overtown Business District
- Overtown Music & Arts Festival at Overtown Business District: The fest, promoting economic development and community enrichment, is bringing a full day of entertainment free of charge to the public. Attendees can listen to live tunes, make their way through a showcase of ethnic-cuisine vendors, and shop for artwork, crafts, and jewelry.
Tea time Harry Potter style
Photo by Denise Gomez
- Harry Potter Inspired Tea Time at Madi’s Tea Garden Tea Room at Madi's Tea Garden: This quaint shop tucked away in a shopping center on Bird Road is the sweetest of places, and they go all out for their Harry Potter tea time! All over the store are props galore, plate settings reminiscent of those from the Great Hall, and the best part: freshly brewed tea and English fare named after places or events from Harry’s world.
Courtesy of Facebook.com/questo
Questlove at Basement: On Saturday you too can funk it up and get loose with Quest. Party till daybreak as the badass wax spinner and Roots drummer brings his fresh tunes to the Basement.
- Slightly Stoopid at Sunset Cove Amphitheater: Unlike other bands who don't dare to step out beyond their self-prescribed boundaries, Slightly Stoopid wander willingly, and frequently, in fact, into varied terrain, allowing themselves to be taken wherever their muse might carry them.
Fashion Happy Hour
Miami New Times
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Fashion Happy Hour at The Catalina Hotel & Beach Club: Expect a runway show stocked with swimwear brands like Bikini 2 Go and KM Swimwear, as well as contemporary lines courtesy of ALX Couture and Nany’s Klozet Para Melao.
- Double Stubble Sunday T-Dance at Gramps: It's a welcome new hipster piece to gay Miami's party puzzle. The last Sunday afternoon of every month, there's no need to keep your sexuality subtle. The disco beats of DJ Hottpants will surely make everyone shuffle or do the hustle.
- Rodrigo Solo at R House: Growing up in Venezuela, Rodrigo Solo first picked up a guitar at 13. Inspired by Nirvana, Bob Dylan, and the Argentine singer Gustavo Cerati, he found great success with the four-piece Viniloversus both inside and outside of his native country.