Ten Best Things to Do This Weekend
This past week, a 71-year-old man was arrested for spray-painting "SLA" (Sane, Liberated Americas) on hundreds of light posts. Why'd he do it? The Lord told him he was the 24th Elder of the SLA political party, positioned to take over the world once the economy flat-lines. But that's besides the real point, which is that this senior citizen's pep has inspired us to blow through what's left of our youth. Ole gramps raised the bar.
So this weekend, don't just burn your candle at both ends, let it engulf in flames and then get all sticky with melted wax and black soot. Get your portrait sketched in an old bakery warehouse before watching zombies sing on stage. Beat Wynwood's humidity-fogged pavement for Art Walk, be a glutton for Miami Spice deals, and then get shitty and dance with Shit Robot all night long. Here's your weekend guide:
- Sketchy Miami #2: Local blog Beached Miami has set out to do the impossible -- to get every Miami resident's portrait made. This ultimate face book project, Sketchy Miami, holds its second live event tonight at the Bakehouse Art Complex. Come get drawn or watch as others do.
- Song of the Living Dead: Think zombies are so last year? Then why is everyone pumped for the second season of Walking Dead? Quench your lust for the undead with Promethean Theatre's camp musical, Song for the Living Dead, which opens tonight.
- Little Beard: This local outfit, described by us as "adorably disheveled but incredibly polished," joins Plains and North & South at Grand Central.
by Alex Broadwell
- Art Walk: Considering the annoyingly crowded streets of recent Second Saturday Art Walks, this month, notoriously the least attended all year, might actually be low key enough for original art walk enthusiasts. Check our Art Walk guide for this month's highlights.
- Miami Spice: Now's the time to belly up to Miami's high-end food havens like Area 31 and Meat Market. We're in the midst of Miami Spice, a month of prix fixe and discounted fare from the 305's varied restaurants. See the full Miami Spice list here.
- Bat Boy: This Saturday, see this campy, B-movie-style musical about a half-boy/half-bat creature named Edgar. Get Stage Dude's take on it here.
- Purity Ring: Wondering what upbeat "witch-house" sounds like? Head to Bardot to witness the music sub-sub-genre of Pitchfork-approved Purity Ring.
- Shit Robot: From DFA, the same label as LCD Soundsystem, the Juan MacLean, and Yacht, comes Shit Robot. See his lo-fi Daft Punk-esque set at Grand Central this Saturday.
- Summer Nights: Glamour Goddesses pay tribute to Grease with their bouncy renditions of "Beauty School Dropout," "You're the One That I Want," and "Greased Lightning" at Churchill's this Sunday.
- Rejoice and Shout: Join in on the foot-stomping and arm-waving of a gospel show with O Cinema's screening of the music documentary Rejoice and Shout. Trailer below:
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about arts and culture events in Miami and offers you won't hear about anywhere else.