Do you need an escape from Miami but don't want to travel far? Drive down to John Pennekamp in Key Largo and snorkel out to Jesus. That's right, we said Jesus! The 10-foot statue of Jesus was made by Italian artist/professor Guido Galletti. But before you dive in, here are a few things you need to remember:
- Make sure you can swim. Jesus could walk on water and look what that got him.
- If it makes you feel better, instead of referring to him as "Christ of the Deep", try "Hipster of the Sea" or "Sea Hippie."
- Jellyfish don't actually chase you, they float. Avoiding them is easy.
- Sharks actually will chase you, so don't wear that new Lady Gaga inspired dive suit made of raw meat.
- The experience can reduce a grown man to tears. Ear drums are sensitive and water pressure is no joke.
- New pick-up line-- "Jesus is my dive partner" --will make panties drop in Utah.
Check out this adorable little video of swimming with Jesus in Key Largo. It will probably make you vomit from its cuteness:
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
The John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park (102601 Overseas Hwy., Key Largo) has the best charter out "Christ of the Deep."The 1.5 hour snorkeling tour costs $30 plus $7 for fins mask, and snorkel (the snorkel you can keep). Daily departures are at 9 a.m., noon, and 3 p.m. Call 305-451-6300 or visit pennekamppark.com.