Free Events This Week: Skinny Velvet, Little Beard, No Name #6
As the new school year draws near, we find ourselves looking for more distractions from Miami's impending traffic increases and irrepressible heat. Summer will stay with us in the form of perpetually peeling sunburns, but we can only enjoy afternoon trips to the beach for so much longer. (It's likely people with non-school related jobs never had these mini-cations, but they're too depressing to mention.)
This week, events at Electric Pickle, Sweat Records and Bardot are calling our name. Read on for more info on where to catch the best happenings.
- A Shirt's Story: HistoryMiami presents its exhibit on the ever-popular men's shirt in "The Guayabera: A Shirt's Story." If you're the kind of person who knows what a guajiro is, you'll want to stop by.
- Emerge First, Laugh Second: Emerge Miami hosts its weekly meeting at Sweat Records to discuss social activism around the city. Make sure you stay after the meeting for Casa de Ha-Ha, Sweat's stand-up comedy showcase.
- Skinny Velvet: Alongside Run Sevim Run, Skinny Velvet entertain the crowd at Bardot.
- Little Beard: Ladies Night at Camp Ricochet features music by Little Beard and DJ Mr. Feathers.
- Dolphins Practice: Fancy yourself a football fan? You can catch the last open practice of August at Nova Southeastern University's training facility in Davie.
- No Name #6: L. Sangre, Juan Tapia and Gio Ardito bring haus techno and more to Electric Pickle.
- Female Hu$tle: Rosemarie Romero and Heather K. Wilson-Miller collaborated to create pieces like "Gold Mirror" and "Porn Nails" at Locust Projects.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about arts and culture events in Miami and offers you won't hear about anywhere else.