Free Events This Week: Rumble, Chillin' the Most, Ariana Reines
Someone once said nothing good comes for free. That person is an idiot. As evidenced by the shows and exhibits around town this week, you don't need any money to go out and party. All you need is someone to pal around with who will drive your drunk ass home from downtown.
This week, you've got poetry, surf rock, and collaborative art to satisfy your weekly needs. Read on for when and where to direct yourself for a good time.
- Bikini Jazz: Lead singer Eli la O and crew take over Upstairs at the Van Dyke to perform Latin and jazz standards.
- Rumble: DJ Haitian Hillbilly and crew lay down rock, funk, surf and soul to cool you off at Kill Your Idol.
- P.S. - P.P.S. - Michael Genovese's 60-piece collection of aluminum discs are combined with commentary by the public to create a new art experience at the Frost Art Museum.
- Ghost: We're going to forego the readily available Patrick Swayze jokes and just let you know this pottery-laden movie is screening at SoundScape Park.
- Kid Rock's Third Annual Chillin' the Most Cruise Pre-Party: One helluva name for one helluvan event. Make sure you RSVP to email@example.com and bring the print-out for free entry to catch the John Stone Band and more live. Admission is subject to capacity, so head over to Grand Central early.
- Ariana Reines: As part of its ongoing visiting poet series, the University of Wynwood brings author and UC Berkeley lecturer Reines (below) to B Bar at the Betsy Hotel for a reading and book signing.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about arts and culture events in Miami and offers you won't hear about anywhere else.