Free Events This Week: Innasense, Ignite Miami, Harry Benson
Ah, the three-day weekend! What a welcome rarity. A week that begins with a Monday off of work is akin to a school day with a substitute teacher or a class abruptly cancelled by the professor.
While you would probably enjoy the aforementioned treats by passing notes with your bestie or taking a much-needed nap, this week deserves a bit more celebration: some waving American flags, relaxation with your family, and a few choice free events to keep the good times going.
- Take it easy: When was the last time you really relaxed? Take advantage of one of the few Mondays you don't have to spend working and hang by the pool, beach or barbecue. And if you're not quite sure what Memorial Day means, look it up - it's more than just an excuse for a three-day weekend.
- Innasense: Reggae dancehall, anyone? Blue Martini hosts this band that will draw you to the dance floor and keep you grooving through the night.
- Turkish Film Festival: This three-day event showcases six exceptional films, including Last Stop Kurtulus and Eyyvah Eyvah 2, at the Colony Theatre.
- Jazz it up: The Miami Jazz Society screens All About Eve and The African Queen at Miami Tower.
- Ignite Miami: 30 creative minds answer the question, "If you had five minutes on stage, what would you say to Miami?" Make sure you RSVP before you head over to The Stage for the performances.
- The Beatles: Famed Scottish photojournalist Harry Benson launches and signs copies of his new book about his time on the road with the Beatles at Taschen. RSVP to email@example.com as space is limited.
- Plan B: Churchill's Pub hosts this ladies night with open DJ slots and karaoke. Ladies get in free, but it's $5 for the gentlemen. All proceeds go to Planned Parenthood.
- Jose Bedia: The Fredric Snitzer Gallery holds an opening reception for the artist's new solo exhibition.
- Rosencrans Baldwin: The author is at Books & Books for a reading of his new memoir, Paris, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down.
Get the Arts Newsletter
Weekly information on all the on goings in the art and event world. Find out what the hot trends are and what's happening this week in our Arts newsletter. Coming Soon.