Free Events This Week in Miami: Keystone Sculpture, Comic Coloring, and 36 Years of Churchill's
Say happy 36th birthday to one of the oldest standing punk venues in the country this weekend at Churchill's.
Photo by Phillip Pessar/Flickr CC
Happy August 31, Miami. Here's hoping today starts the slowing of 90-degree days and Netflix-filled nights — it's been too grossly hot to do much else. With a slew of free and creative cultural events to kick off the new month, you've got every reason to start September with a bang.
Think Pink: Catch 1957's stylish musical Funny Face at Fashion Project Bal Harbour Shops.
- Dressing Down the Movies at Fashion Project: Enjoy another week of free films with lasting fashion impact, from High Society and Funny Face to Designing Woman.
Jedediah Caesar's exhibit includes Sovereign Stones – dyed blocks of the Oolite, Florida Keystone and Hemingway limestones that form the bedrock of South Florida.
Courtesy of Locust Projects
Jedediah Caesar at Locust Projects: The Los Angeles-based artist presents "Stone Underground," a new series of sculptures that extract inspiration from Miami’s subterranean realm.
Leadership Series at the New Tropic: Former Miami Mayor Manny Diaz will talk leadership, his journey, and some of his favorite things about Miami.
- Chef Adrianne Calvo at Books & Books: The Johnson & Wales University alum and cooking competition master will present her latest book Play With Fire: Images and Ingredients That Ignite, a combination of artistic eroticism and the culinary arts explored through recipes.
Courtesy of Exile Books
Listen to This Building at Miami Center for Architecture and Design: The exhibition, believed to be the first architectural exhibit designed to address accessibility for persons with visual impairments, will transform ten Downtown Miami buildings into a living, multimedia tableau.
- "Robert Huff: 47 Years" at MDC-MOAD: Attend a special director's preview of this retrospective of pivotal works spanning the prolific career of longtime Miami artist and teacher Robert Huff, opening to the public Friday.
Community Comic Book Coloring at FIU Miami Beach Urban Studios: Grab the crayons and go to town on the enlarged version of the latest Super Health Heroes Community Comic Coloring Book, which addresses the challenges facing children diagnosed with Type-1 diabetes.
Churchill's 35th anniversary party.
Photo by Alex Markow
Labor Day Bash at Churchill's: Celebrate 36 years of live music and attitude at this weekend-long gathering of local bands.
Untitled (3for8) - Robert Thiele at MDC-MOAD: View a collection of artist and teacher Thiele's unique take on painting and sculpture.
- Macchietta, Small Sketches by Karen Rifas at MDC-MOAD: Rifas' works will take over the Design Lab space with a “mini-retrospective” of small scale maquettes, representing over 19 years of artistic practice and creative planning.
- The Paris Wife at Wolfsonian: Join the Book Club for a discussion of Paula McLain's love story set in 1920s Paris, which follows the unforgettable love affair between Ernest Hemingway and his first wife, Hadley Richardson.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about arts and culture events in Miami and offers you won't hear about anywhere else.
7230 NW Miami Ct #5
Miami, Florida 33150