Free Events This Week in Miami: Jazz Ensembles, Tech Demos, and Getting Out the Vote
Photo by Christopher Morgan
Put away the press-on nails and uncomfortable fangs. Halloween -- and hopefully your hangover -- is officially over. It's time to move on.
It's also officially the holiday season, and in coming months, you're going to need to save all your dough for family dinners and thoughtful gifts. That doesn't mean you have to give up on the simple pleasures of free events. Nay, it means you must enjoy them more.
From jazz music to new technology, your civic duties and more, here are a few free suggestions for your work week.
- Miami Book Fair International Preview at Books & Books: Get ready for the big literary fair with an appearance from the queen of Latin media, Christina Saralegui, and an inside look at the festival by co-founder Mitchell Kaplan.
- Election Day: Maybe this isn't your idea of a good time, but if you're not a rich white man, a lot of people fought long and hard for your right to participate in this most important event. Check a sample ballot online, read up on the issues and candidates, then fill in your ballot bubbles with pride. You get a sticker, and thanks to all those activists through the years, voting is totally free!
- Solo Spotlight: A Guide to Cello in Chambermusic: Once made your vote count (we endorse "yes" on Amendment 2, btw), celebrate with an evening at the New World Symphony and enjoy performances of Beethoven's Sonata for Cello and Piano no. 3, Debussy's Sonata for Cello and Piano, and Kirchner's Piano Trio by Aaron Ludwig. The performances begin at 7 p.m.
- FIU Jazz Combos: If you get through the week and desire more music, not to worry, the Wolfsonian at FIU has got your back. Starting at 7 p.m., small ensembles will perform standard and contemporary jazz numbers, as directed by Rodolfo Zuniga.
Courtesy Giralda Under the Stars via Facebook
- Giralda Under the Stars: Also at 7 p.m., Downtown Coral Gables' Restaurant Row kicks off its new first Fridays art, music, and food extravaganza. Through to midnight, traffic around the 100 block of Giralda Avenue will be rerouted to allow 14 participating restaurants to set up tables and serve people under the night sky. The food may not be free, but the atmosphere of music, art, and romantic wonder will be.
- TigerDirect Tech Bash 2014: So, you want to get your loved one a tech gift for the holidays, but you don't actually know that much about tech to begin with. Why not hit Marlins Park from 7 to 11 p.m. for a chance to play with the gadgets? With more than 100 exhibiting vendors, you'll get your hands on all the hottest gear in the tech industry, so you can later purchase without any buyer's remorse.
Dollhouse Dance Factory: Bring It! Live
TicketsSat., Jul. 1, 8:00pm
TicketsSat., Jul. 8, 8:30pm
You're a Good Man Charlie Brown: Young Professionals
TicketsSat., Jul. 15, 2:00pm
Big Band Concerts with the Florida Wind Symphony
TicketsSat., Jul. 15, 7:00pm
Miami Curves Week Presents: Curves & Comedy
TicketsFri., Jul. 21, 9:00pm
Follow Kat Bein on Twitter @KatSaysKill.'
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.