Free Events This Week in Miami: Everglades Art, Salsa History, and Mid-Week Treats
The world only gets one Everglades. Let's appreciate it whenever possible.
Even if you weren't taking part in the massive Wynwood music, art, and technology fest, chances are you went and spent a load of cash trying to forget the work week behind you. The trouble is, another one is in full-swing, and that cash is still gone.
Not to worry, there are ways to distract yourself without mula. Here are a few of our suggestions.
See also: III Points 2014 at Soho Studios, Day Two
- 2014-15 CINTAS Fellowship Finalist Exhibition: Hit the Freedom Tower to check out the MDC Museum of Art and Design as they present the 50th presentation of the CINTAS Foundation Fellowship Competition and Awards Announcement. The Fellowship is open to visual artists in sculpture, photography, film, media arts, and installation art.
- Free #Humpday: Just follow @AEDistrictMiami on twitter and get treated to free coffee and wifi, plus tastes from BunnieCakes, at The Filling Station Lofts (1650 North Miami Ave.) The #Humpdat special is brought courtesy of Miami's Arts & Entertainment District with partners Aroma Espresso and CANVAS Miami, and is a new weekly bonus.
- Everything everGLADES: Let your voice be heard during this in-depth discussion on the ecology, sustainability, social justice, and arts programs in Florida's unique Everglades ecosystem. There's not another place on Earth like it. This discussion is held in conjunction with the ongoing Common Ground: Artists in the Everglades exhibit at the Schmidt Center Gallery, which is also free to enjoy.
- Live Arts Exchange: DJ Le Spam and Larry Harlow: Come to the Wolfson Auditorium Room 1261 at Miami Dade College from 3:30 to 5 p.m. to hear who the New York Times has pronounced "one of the most important figures in the history of Salsa." DJ Le Span will tell great stories of Larry Harlow's career during Red Bull Music Academy interviews.
- Anjanette Delgado at Books & Books: Delgado's The Clairvoyant of Calle Ocho is a story near and dear to our hearts, because it takes place in Little Havana. Hear the award-winning author speak about her latest romantic, mystical work.
You're a Good Man Charlie Brown: Young Professionals
TicketsSat., Jul. 15, 2:00pm
Miami Curves Week Presents: Curves & Comedy
TicketsFri., Jul. 21, 9:00pm
TicketsSat., Aug. 5, 8:00pm
TicketsWed., Oct. 11, 6:30pm
Jim Gaffigan: Noble Ape Tour
TicketsFri., Dec. 29, 8:00pm
Follow Kat Bein on Twitter @KatSaysKill.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.