Free Events This Week in Miami: Bike Rides, Fan Zines, and Little Havana Art Walk
This is the season we've been waiting
patiently impatiently for since the boiling heat sapped the last of our summertime good cheer. Now the trade winds are blowing, the humidity has plummeted, and life is pretty perfect.
Sadly, winter weekends fly by in a breeze, but luckily the in-season awesomeness isn't limited to Saturday and Sunday. There are all kinds of fun, free events to get you through the workweek too.
Via The Miami Bike Scene
- Magic Mondays at University Metrorail Station: This new weekly bike ride winds its way through some of Miami's most charming neighborhoods. Just think, as you're riding comfortably, sun shining and breeze blowing, your friends in NYC are freezing their asses off.
- Free entrance to state and national parks: On Veteran's Day, we all reap the benefits of our soldiers' service via gratis admission to Everglades National Park and Dry Tortugas National Park.
Via MDAS on Facebook
- Second-Annual Thanksgiving Paw Drive at Taurus: Few causes are worthier than homeless pups and kitties. Folks at Miami-Dade Animal Services will collect towels, blankets, treats, and sheets for the dogs and cats at the shelter, and they'll have adorable adoptables onsite too.
- Zine-o-Mania at MDC-MOAD: Explore the world of print fan-zine genres, from politics to musics, with selections from the University of Miami Special Collections.
- Grove Green Market in the Coconut Grove Playhouse parking lot: The wintertime ode to all things local and artisanal is open for business once again. Hear live tunes, support Coconut Grove businesses, and meet Miami's newest upbeat addition: the Happy Wall.
- Copyright and Dance at Inkub8: Despite the fact that humans have been dancing since they crawled out of the primordial ooze, music has been protected by copyright law for only a few decades. Join a convo with Cannonball's LegalLink Coordinator, Allyn Ginns, about the ins and outs of the issue.
Via Viernes Culturales on Facebook
- Little Havana Art Walk at the Futurama Building: Forget the touristy madness of Wynwood and head to one of Miami's oft-overlooked artistic neighborhoods. Expect food and entertainment, in addition to the art, to keep you busy.
Dollhouse Dance Factory: Bring It! Live
TicketsSat., Jul. 1, 8:00pm
TicketsSat., Jul. 8, 8:30pm
You're a Good Man Charlie Brown: Young Professionals
TicketsSat., Jul. 15, 2:00pm
Big Band Concerts with the Florida Wind Symphony
TicketsSat., Jul. 15, 7:00pm
Miami Curves Week Presents: Curves & Comedy
TicketsFri., Jul. 21, 9:00pm
Follow Hannah on Twitter @hannahgetshappy.
Send your story tips to Cultist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.