Free Events This Week: Gabrielle Union, Paul Robeson, Roots Rock
This weekend welcomed in the official start of fall, which means (cue ominous music) the holidays are almost upon us. Besides a few months full of forced family time, this season also tends to lead to hemorrhaging of the monetary kind. Presents, parties and all kinds of overindulging can put a real dent in that retirement fund.
So this week, instead of shelling our $15 a drink and spending yourself silly, you can enjoy this assortment of free events and pocket those pennies for the future festivities instead.
- Miami Art Museum's Book Club: Dig into an intellectual discussion about African American culture based on Who's Afraid of Post-Blackness by Touré.
- Singer and Songwriter Night: Miami's best in acoustic talent showcase their creative genius Upstairs at the Van Dyke Cafe.
- Miami Jazz Society Film Series Paul Robeson: Check out a biopic on activist, author, athlete and all-around amazing dude Paul Robeson, who was sadly under acknowledged for his many accomplishments while alive.
- Roots Rock: Get your groove on to Rockabilly, Blues, R&B, Boogie Woogie and Western Swing at the Blackbird that's far from ordinary.
- Half the Sky Screening: Meet Dwyane Wade's main squeeze (Gabrielle Union) and study up on international issues at a preview screening of Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide.
- New Times Tweet Up: Booze it up and grub it down with fellow NT enthusiasts at Taverna Opa Brickell.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.