Free Events This Week: Gabrielle Union, Paul Robeson, Roots Rock
This weekend welcomed in the official start of fall, which means (cue ominous music) the holidays are almost upon us. Besides a few months full of forced family time, this season also tends to lead to hemorrhaging of the monetary kind. Presents, parties and all kinds of overindulging can put a real dent in that retirement fund.
So this week, instead of shelling our $15 a drink and spending yourself silly, you can enjoy this assortment of free events and pocket those pennies for the future festivities instead.
- Miami Art Museum's Book Club: Dig into an intellectual discussion about African American culture based on Who's Afraid of Post-Blackness by Touré.
- Singer and Songwriter Night: Miami's best in acoustic talent showcase their creative genius Upstairs at the Van Dyke Cafe.
- Miami Jazz Society Film Series Paul Robeson: Check out a biopic on activist, author, athlete and all-around amazing dude Paul Robeson, who was sadly under acknowledged for his many accomplishments while alive.
- Roots Rock: Get your groove on to Rockabilly, Blues, R&B, Boogie Woogie and Western Swing at the Blackbird that's far from ordinary.
- Half the Sky Screening: Meet Dwyane Wade's main squeeze (Gabrielle Union) and study up on international issues at a preview screening of Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide.
- New Times Tweet Up: Booze it up and grub it down with fellow NT enthusiasts at Taverna Opa Brickell.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about arts and culture events in Miami and offers you won't hear about anywhere else.