Free Events This Week: Duchess, Evita, Nuclear Awareness
Next to Cinco de Mayo, St. Patrick's Day is probably the holiday most exploited by Americans in the name of getting completely tanked. We're willing to bet the majority of people celebrating these two days don't know a) what Cinco de Mayo actually commemorates or b) where St. Patrick is actually from (hint: it's not Ireland). But in the spirit of camaraderie and social drinking, we shrug our shoulders, tilt back our green beers and yell, "Slainte!" just the same.
St. Patrick's Day isn't until the weekend, but there are plenty of events to keep you busy until Saturday. Read on for what's good and free around Miami this week.
- Duchess: Start off your week the right way. And by "the right way," we mean "drinking mojitos at the Mondrian."
- Global Nuclear Free Awareness Day: To commemorate the one year anniversary of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, Sweat Records screens the documentary Knocking on the Devil's Door.
- The War We Have Not Seen: The Frost Art Museum displays paintings by former combatants in Colombia's wars as part of artist Juan Manuel Echavarria's non-profit organization Fundacion Puntos de Encuentro.
- Evita: Even if you're not a huge fan of Madonna or musicals, SoundScape Cinema Series' screening of Evita is sure to be a nice time. Giant projection of Antonio Banderas, anyone?
- Fra Nefarious: The '80s-esque Fra Nefarious presents his new album Crazy Weather at Ricochet.
- Ill.Gates and Juan Basshead: Weekly Get Low goodness at the Vagabond with DJ Otto von Bass Warrior, Animal Krackerz, MC Jumanji and Nome.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.