Free Events This Week: Cat Power, Capital Radio, Carl Hobbs
Huzzah! It's Labor Day! You may have grown to dislike this symbolic end of summer, but don't be too hard on it. With Labor Day comes a glorious three-day weekend and the start of football season, two events we can definitely get behind.
There is plenty to celebrate this week, from Cat Power's new album to comedy shows to multiple author readings. Read on for more on how to have your last hurrahs before the fall sets in.
- Relax: It's Labor Day, people! You already work hard, so now it's time to play hard. Kick off your shoes, hang out by the pool or the beach and thank your lucky stars for the three-day weekend.
- The Color of Monday: The pool tournament at Chalk offers $100 to the winner, a $25 bar tab to the runner-up and good entertainment to everyone who shows up.
- Playback Party: Sweat Records and the Workshop Collective host a listening party for Cat Power's new album, Sun. You'll hear all Power's latest as well as her classic songs, and you'll get a chance to score some Matador Records swag.
- Last Laugh: The audience picks the winner of the newest comedy contest at Jeronimo's Bar in Brickell.
- Capital Radio Sessions: DJ Russel, DJ Philgood, Hot Box Love, The Personal Legend and Blind Dog Aussie hit up Churchill's Pub. Entry is free for women and Barry University commuters, but guys have a $5 cover.
- Hobbs and Dean: Books & Books Coral Gables welcomes Carl H. Hobbs, author of The Beach Book, and Debra Dean, author of The Mirrored World.
- Lowedown Happy Hour: Enjoy a guided tour of the Beaux Arts Gallery along with treats and cocktails at the Lowe Art Museum. Admission is free for members and $10 for all others.
- Listening Party: Deborah Magdalena performs at a free listening party for her new album, FUNKdalena, at the Stage.
Get the Arts Newsletter
Weekly information on all the on goings in the art and event world. Find out what the hot trends are and what's happening this week in our Arts newsletter. Coming Soon.