Free Events in Miami This Week: Carl Hiaasen, Sketchy Galleries, and Swamp Art
Photo by Giulio Sciorio
The official DWNTWN Art Days have come to an end, but that doesn't mean the well of creativity is dry. Miami's galleries continue to open their doors to art lovers looking for interesting perspectives on the world around them, and a lot of those doors don't come with cover charge.
If you find yourself feeling sluggish in the midst of a new work week, spice up your life with some of these free exhibits and activities. At no cost to you, supporting the local arts has never been easier.
Photo by Augusto Mendoza
- Pop in on Exile Books Pop-Up: If you're lucky enough to find some free time between the hours of 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., make sure you check out 2014 Knight's Art Challenge finalist Amanda Keeley's Exile Books project. Half retailer and half exhibition, Exile is holding lectures and offering a highly-curated selection of art books at Locust ProjectsTuesday through Saturday until October 11.
- Common Ground: Artists in the Everglades: We all know the Everglades are a treasure, but how often do we get to connect to the spirit of the swamp? FAU sent eight artists to live inside Everglades National Park for a month, and their work is now on display Tuesday through Friday from 1 to 4 p.m., and Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m., at the Schmidt Center Gallery.
- Carl Hiaasen "Skinks - No Surrender:" Just like the Evergaldes, novelist Carl Hiaasen is something every Floridian should be proud of. Catch the quirky, New York Times Best-Selling author when he discusses Skinks - No Surrender, now long listed for a National Book Award, at Books & Books' Temple Judea location (5500 Granada Blvd.), kicking off at 7 p.m.
- Lebo Pops Up: You've seen the colorful mark LEBO has left all through downtown Miami, but the local muralist represents more than just a vibrant palette. See his exhibition pieces as part of "The Exile Experience: Journey to Freedom" presentation at the MDC Museum of Art and Design showcase in the Freedom Tower, open to all Wednesday through Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.
Photo by Ciara Osorio
- Jazz at MOCA AP Beach Series: Every last Friday of the month, MOCA makes the night come to life with a little music. Relax and welcome the weekend under the stars while world-class musicians take the stage rain or shine, starting at 8 p.m.
- Sketching in the Galleries: Maybe listening to music is too passive an experience. You want to get visceral while you unwind, and the Wolfsonian at FIU wants to help you get the juices flowing. Sneak a peek at their current exhibitions, then connect with your favorite pieces and give them a personal twist by sketching them out. All ages and skill levels are welcome, from 7 to 9 p.m.
Just the Funny Mainstage Show
TicketsSat., Dec. 10, 9:00pm
TicketsSat., Dec. 10, 10:00pm
Just the Funny - After Hours
TicketsSat., Dec. 10, 11:00pm
Meg Segreto's Dance Centre: Happy Holidays
TicketsSun., Dec. 11, 2:00pm
A Whoville Christmas - Maria Verdeja School Arts
TicketsTue., Dec. 13, 7:00pm
Follow Kat Bein on Twitter @KatSaysKill.
Send your story tips to Cultist at email@example.com.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about arts and culture events in Miami and offers you won't hear about anywhere else.