In Havana, accused and desperate, Raul is forced to run. Ninety miles of treacherous ocean stand between him and his dream.
Three kids. One night. No return.
That's the synopsis of the film Una Noche, New York director Lucy Mulloy's story of Cuban teens who plot to escape their country that screened at the Tribeca Film Festival last week. But it's also a synopsis of the real-life events of that week, as two of the film's three stars scheduled to appear at the Tribeca screening have allegedly disappeared in Miami.
The Huffington Post reported Sunday that Anailin de la Rua de la Torre, Javier Nunez Florian, and Dariel Arrechada flew from Cuba to the U.S. on Wednesday, with a layover in Miami en route to New York City. But when it was time to board the second leg of their journey, only Arrechada showed up at the gate.
The 20-year-old de la Rua de la Torre and Florian have not been discovered, but Arrechada told reporters that while he had no knowledge of their plans or where they might be, he believed the two would not return to Cuba, as he planned to.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
In the meantime, director Mulloy expressed concern for her planned sequel of Una Noche, and told the press that she's "disappointed and surprised" in the actors' actions: "I really was thinking that they were going to come here and enjoy the festival, and I thought they would love to participate in it. They made a decision, I guess."
Let's see: a week of press junkets in New York, or a chance at life outside a totalitarian communist state? Decisions, decisions.