Basel Tov!: Miami New Times' Guide to Art Basel
Once a year, like a beach babe shedding her bikini for a black turtleneck and tortoise-shell glasses, Miami morphs from global party capital into the sophisticated belle of the international art world.
More than 50,000 visitors will flock to Dade this week for hours of artistic insanity, all headquartered at the Miami Beach Convention Center. Inside, 260 of the world's top galleries will showcase art worth a total of $2.5 billion — roughly the GDP of Guyana. With a resurgent economy and booming art market, experts expect record sales topping $500 million.
But Basel's impact resonates miles beyond the Monet-swapping confines of the convention center. Twenty-two satellite fairs will convert the entire tip of the peninsula into a rambling art-lovers' paradise, from South Beach to Wynwood to Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden and beyond. And dozens of concerts, club parties, and DJ sets will turn the 305 into a mini South by Southwest extravaganza.
The only drawback to Basel week, really, is that Miamians can be in only one place at a time. Where to be? That is the question.
That's why New Times has assembled the Magic City's most comprehensive guide to the best fairs, the edgiest works, and the craziest parties. Raise a glass. Basel tov! It's the best time of year in the 305.
Above is a handy-dandy map of all the fairs. Below is the key, and at the end of this page are links to the rest of our informative guide. So read on!
1) Art Asia Miami December 4–9. 110 NE 36th St., Miami. $20.
2) Scope Miami December 5–9. 110 NE 36th St., Miami. $15–$20.
3) Overture Miami December 5–9. NW 34th Street and Buena Vista Boulevard, Miami. $15.
4) Context December 5–9. 3201 NE First Ave., Miami. $10–$20.
5) Red Dot Miami December 5–9. 3011 NE First Ave., Miami. Day pass $15, week pass $25.
6) Art Miami December 5–9. 3101 NE First Ave., Miami. One-day pass $20, multiday pass $40.
7) Artexpo Miami December 5–9. 3011 NE First Ave., Miami. $15.
8) Miami Project December 5–9. NE First Avenue and 29th Street, Miami. $20–$45.
9) Fountain Miami December 6–9. 2505 N. Miami Ave., Miami. One-day pass $10, weekend pass $15.
10) Seven December 4–9. 2200 NW Second Ave., Miami. Free.
11) JustMadMia December 6–9. 2136 NW First Ave., Miami. $10–$15.
12) Pulse Miami December 6–9. Ice Palace Studios, 1400 N. Miami Ave., Miami. $15–$20.
13) Pool Art Fair December 7–9. Sky House Marquis, 1100 Biscayne Blvd., Miami. Free.
14) Miami River Art FairDecember 5–9. Miami Convention Center, 400 SE Second Ave., Miami. $10–$30.
15) International Contemporary Jewelry Fair December 5–9. InterContinental Miami Dock, 100 Chopin Plaza, Miami. $20.
16) NADA Art Fair December 6–9. Deauville Beach Resort, 6701 Collins Ave., Miami Beach. Free.
17) Ink Miami Art Fair December 5–9. Suites of Dorchester, 1850 Collins Ave., Miami Beach. Free.
18) Design Miami December 5–9. Miami Beach Convention Center Parking Lot, Meridian Avenue and 19th Street, Miami Beach. $15–$55.
19) Art Basel Miami Beach December 6–9. Miami Beach Convention Center, 1901 Convention Center Dr., Miami Beach. $24–$90.
20) Select Fair December 6–9. Catalina Hotel, 1732 Collins Ave., Miami Beach. Free.
21) Aqua 12 December 6–9. Aqua Hotel, 1530 Collins Ave., Miami Beach. $10.
22) Untitled December 5–9. 12th Street and Ocean Drive, Miami Beach. $20.
23) Verge Art Miami Beach December 7–9. Essex House, 1001 Collins Ave., and the Clevelander, 1020 Ocean Dr., Miami Beach. Free.
Get the Arts Newsletter
Weekly information on all the on goings in the art and event world. Find out what the hot trends are and what's happening this week in our Arts newsletter. Coming Soon.