Around Town This Weekend: NBA Playoffs, LGBT Film Fest, Jim Gaffigan, and Animal Collective
Whether you're overworked or unemployed, take a deep breath because the weekend is finally here. But, to paraphrase Les Claypool, weekends don't mean so much when you're unemployed, 'cept you get to hang out with your working friends. So make some plans to get together this weekend. Sometimes it takes a village to have a really good time.
- Hate to break it to you but the Miami Heat aren't doing so well in the NBA playoffs. Tonight's Game Two may be their last.
- But even as the Heat season comes to a sad close, the Miami Gay & Lesbian Film Festival begins. Tonight, there'll be a Gusman screening of the Cannes-nominated I Killed My Mother.
- Brooklyn artist Cory Arcangel, who tweaks game consoles and injects comic sans into a gallery's brand, will be giving a talk at the Museum of Contemporary Art on Saturday.
- Celebrate Earth Day a few days late with the Miami Goin' Green festival in Bayfront Park. With bike valet, solar-powered Wii tournaments, and a T-shirt transformation station, it's sure to be a good, green time.
- Everyone wants to work with the Blind Boys of Alabama; see what all the hype is about on Saturday night.
- We're sponsoring it, so you know we're fans. Swamp Stomp is a UM-bred music fest showcasing local bands like Juke and the Lee Boys at the Bayside Hut.
- As part of the TransAtlantic Festival, Malian guitarist Vieux Farka Touré will play the North Beach bandshell with Locos por Juana.
- Bike Miami Days re-emerges Sunday with a mini-fest in Coconut Grove's Peacock Park. Keep an eye out for floaters.
- If a high-pitched, whispered mention of "Hot Pockets" means anything to you, you probably already have tickets to see funnyman Jim Gaffigan.
- NYC designer Alisha Trimble has created a swimwear collection that relects
Miami culture and climate. See the hipster chic pieces at Bar as apart
- Animal Collective will be at Miami's new Grand Central to show their visual album ODDSAC. Go!
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.