Around Town: Laura Bush, Afrika Bambaataa, Fetish Parties, Rick Ross, Diddy, and Busta Rhymes
We're guessing most of you already know about the shower of hip-hop events hitting Miami this long weekend, but allow us to point out some other events worthy of your time and cash. There's a saucy Fetish party happening all weekend in Broward. If you're willing to sport a gag ball, we think you might also be willing to endure the drive up.
- Laura and Jenna Bush make an appearance at Books & Books. The former first lady has written a memoir that bags on Dubya's bad decisions.
- Tucked away in a resort in Doral this weekend is DocMiami, a documentary film festival.
- The Godfather of Hip-Hop, Afrika Bambaataa, plays Revolution tonight.
- French rockers Crusaders of Love swoop
through Miami for So Raw's Let's
Make Memories show at Bar.
Good, the Bad, the Weirdis a Korean homage to Sergio Leone's The
Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. See why it scored a foreign film
nomination at this year's Oscars. It screens at the Miami Beach Cinematheque all weekend.
- Broward is kinkier than Dade, at least it is this weekend. Celebrate the 15th anniversary (that's
crystal, right?) of the Fetish Factory parties. On Saturday, head to the decked-out, skin-flashing
celebrities, and party people will flock to Bicentennial Park on Sunday for 2010's Best
of the Best, a dancehall and hip-hop day-long concert. This year,
the lineup includes Rick Ross, Diddy (and friends), Gucci Mane, and oh,
just read the write-up here.
- Recently-released jailbird T.I. plays
Klutch just in time for the Urban Beach Week events. Now he knows why the caged bird sings.
comedians will tickle your funnybone at Sunday's Memorial
Weekend Comedy Festival.Our pick? Mark Curry. Give that man his own show. See his bit on crackheads here.
- Cafeina, a Wynwood
lounge/gallery, will host Los Angeles DJ duo Classixx, last seen in Miami during the Winter Music Conference.
- Sports stars and rap celebs like Carmelo Anthony, Cam'ron, Jim Jones, and Fabolous will be at Klucth
on Monday to celebrate Busta
Rhymes' b-day. We gon' sip Bacardi like it's his birthday...cause it is.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.