Around Town: ANR, MillionYoung, Dave Barry, Art Walk, and Yo' Mama
We don't know about all of you but we're exhausted from busting homophobic hypocrites and providing fodder for unfunnyman Jay Leno and funnyman Stephen Colbert. What have you accomplished this week? No matter. Everyone deserves to have a good time.
So come wander the streets of Wynwood, see some art, and catch a band, film, or poetry reading. (Our advice? Record Saturday's SNL with Betty White and watch it Sunday morning while nursing your hangover.) And heads up: Mother's Day is Sunday. You should have already ordered her flowers by now.
- We're about to lose them to the vast tundra of Canada, so come see local bands ANR and MillionYoung at the Vagabond tonight before they take off on their tour. And if you need to hear this kind of endorsement, Pitchfork called ANR's debut album "contemporary indie rock's best neurotic party tracks" and MillionYoung's EP "a blissful paean to lazy Saturday afternoons."
- Los Bastardos Magnificos is just one of the 40 or so bands playing this weekend's 305 Fest,
a local punk showcase that may be the best proof yet that Miami has
more than reggaeton, untz, and bass. Tonight's show is at Churchill's
- Oscar-nominated A Prophet
screens at the Cinematheque this weekend. Are the French ripping off
American gangster flicks or is this film the antidote to the brutality
of films like Scarface? You decide.
- The University of Wynwood is back in session. This time, the Department of Awesome has flown in Portland poet Zac Schomburg to read at Gallery Diet tonight in Wynwood.
hear the booze lounge is back (courtesy of 42 Below Vodka) so enjoy
your free bevies before making your rounds at this Saturday's Second Saturday Art Walk. Hunt down Passion Fruit, Sangria, and Spiced Fizz cocktails at the pop-up bar behind the David Castillo Gallery.
Just a smidge north from Wynwood, see a free in-store performance by Radar v. Wolf, an indie folk duo, at Sweat Records. Locals Boy Have Heart and Danielle Steel will open.
- Did you miss dubstepper 12th Planet during WMC? Then hear and see him this Saturday at the White Room.
- At 3 p.m., humorist Dave Barry sounds off about the tribulations of adulthood at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.