1. FIND FREE FOOD. Art fair and family-style barbecue? That's Scope Miami when it presents a Q&A with emerging Miami artists who created its large-scale and site-specific sculptures — plus its services at the grill. Sunday, December 9, 4 to 6 p.m. Roberto Clemente Park, 101 NW 34th St., Miami.
2. FIND FREE BOOZE. The Flow fair is serving up a free opening reception Wednesday, December 5, from 6 to 10 p.m., and a nightly cocktail hour Thursday, December 6, through Saturday, December 8, from 6 to 8 p.m., when you can get your lushy self a free "Flotini." Dorset Hotel, 1720 Collins Ave., Miami Beach.
3. ANTE UP. Local artists Westen Charles and Ivan Toth Depena have organized The Poker Tournament, an interactive installation at the Freedom Tower. Along with other South Florida artists, Charles and Depena will take on the public for free. Saturday, December 8, 8 to 11 p.m. 600 Biscayne Blvd., Miami.
Art Basel freebies
4. ROAST A PIG. The Fredric Snitzer Gallery celebrates its 30th anniversary with a pig roast and cocktails. Friday, December 7, 8 to 11 p.m. 2247 NW First Pl., Miami.
5. CATCH A FREE FLICK. Art Loves Film presents an evening honoring Lou Reed, a free event during which Lou Reed's Berlin, a new film by Julian Schnabel, will be spooled. Seating is limited; for tickets, call 305-674-1292. Saturday, December 8, 8:30 p.m. Colony Theater, 1040 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach.
6. ALL POLITICS IS LOCO. Rachel Mason, a New York-based artist and musician, will perform imagined songs from the minds of political leaders. Also, she will display her sculpted figurines correlating to wars that have taken place during her lifetime. Thursday, December 6, 5 p.m. Ice Palace, 1400 N. Miami Ave., Miami.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
7. ROAM THE BEACH. Art Positions features 20 cutting-edge galleries in shipping containers at Collins Park between 21st and 22nd streets in Miami Beach. Concrete Waves: An Homage to Skate Culture brings DJ music and a 70-foot-long skate ramp — and skate rats! — to the park. Daily between 2 and 10 p.m.
8. TRIP ON THE SPACE-TIME CONTINUUM. Pulse Miami is showcasing Chris Larson's Spaceship Shack. Larson is best known for his large, extravagant contraptions reminding us of torture devices from the Inquisition. Ongoing. 2136 NW First Ave., Miami.
9. EAT FREE BREAKFAST. Gratis morning vittles at CiFO! Nice. Wednesday, December 5, through Sunday, December 9, 9 a.m. to noon. 1018 N. Miami Ave., Miami. And the Frost Art Museum offers free breakfast at FIU, with an informal talk by sculptor Tom Otterness. Sunday, December 9, 9:30 a.m. to noon. University Park, PC 110, SW 107th Avenue and SW Eighth St., Miami.
10. LIVE A LITTLE. Party like you actually know what you're doing: Try Flavorpill @ Pawn Shop, Saturday night till 5 a.m., featuring Danny Krivit, Japanther, and DJ Harvey. Proceeds from your $20 admission go to charity, and you might just walk away with swag. Pawn Shop Lounge, 1222 NE 2nd Ave., Miami. Or try Gen Art's Vanguard Exhibition and Party: 25 international urban contemporary artists and DJs as well as a bar stocked with Bombay Sapphire cocktails and Peroni Beer. Tickets cost $15 in advance, $20 at the door. Friday, December 7, 8 to midnight. Palm Court, 309 23rd St., Miami Beach. MoCA's Shaker Party at the Catalina Beach club is free for members and a splurge for the rest of us ($150). Thursday, December 6, 8 to 10 p.m., 1732 Collins Ave., Miami Beach.