By Kat Bein
By Shea Serrano
By S. Pajot
By Terrence McCoy
By Falyn Freyman
By Shea Serrano
By Jacob Katel
By Michael E. Miller
Ellie Goulding is a sweet-voiced crooner cooking up hits on the other side of the Atlantic. And she's hitting the stage at the Fillmore Miami Beach this Wednesday. But what do you really know about her anyway?
Sure, you know all the lyrics to her hit song "Lights." Well, you know the chorus. You know she's British. You know she had a love thing with banger bro Skrillex. And you know she has a beautiful soprano voice and a thoughtful, nuanced delivery.
But in today's world of social connectivity and celebrity worship, that's like nothing! So before catching her intimate performance at the Fillmore, get to know the "Starry Eyed" singer-songwriter and her work a bit better. This is Ellie Goulding by the numbers.
1700 Washington Ave.
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Category: Music Venues
Region: South Beach
26. The 26-year-old was born December 30, 1986, in a small village called Lyonshall in Herefordshire. She's the second of four children. She learned to play guitar and began writing songs at 15. So you could say she's been writing for more than a decade.
3. In the UK, Goulding's home country, a single is classified platinum each time it sells 600,000 units. And Ellie's megahit single "Lights" has gone platinum three times. She's a huge deal over there. After Adele, she's the second artist ever to top the BBC's annual Sound Of poll and win the Critic's Choice Award at the Brit Awards in the same year. Oh, and she sang at Prince William's wedding.
1,600,000. Goulding's debut, Lights, has sold 1.6 million copies worldwide since its official release February 26, 2010. The album debuted at number one on the UK Billboard charts, and it was re-released in November that year with six additional tracks. She dropped her second album, Halcyon, this past October.
33. Her debut's title track wasn't released as a single in the States until March 2011, and it was no overnight success. Though the song eventually topped the pop and on-demand charts, as well as reached number two on the Hot 100, Ellie's "Lights" took 33 weeks to get there. That's one of the longest climbs to a peak position in Billboard chart history.
1. A few months before she released what would become her biggest U.S. hit, EDM fans in America learned the name Ellie Goulding for reasons almost entirely unrelated to her music. She had snagged the arm of dubstep dynamo Sonny John "Skrillex" Moore. Unfortunately, though, their love wasn't destined to last. The distance between them and full-time touring schedules forced Ellie and Sonny to call it quits — albeit on good terms. The radio-friendly relationship lasted only one year.
53. This past October 11, Goulding set out on her second world tour in support of Halcyon with a kickoff show in New York City. And ultimately, over the course of eight months, she will have made 53 stops across the United States and Europe. Her performance at the Fillmore will be the 14th show, but it's gonna be the first of 2013, so her voice should be rested and in good shape. Of her 40 remaining appearances, 12 concerts have already sold out.
$40. Thankfully, there are still some tickets for Goulding's Fillmore gig. And if you buy ahead of time, the total price comes to $40 at livenation.com. So you might as well snag a pair now. After all, as Ellie sings, "Anything could happen."