Hale received no payment for the horses, Mark says, and had no idea they might end up at a slaughterhouse. "First of all, my dad wouldn't think about giving away a horse for that purpose," Mark says. "And second of all, retired thoroughbred horses are ideal for riding with children."

In a statement given to police in mid-January, Ortega claimed the horses were "very thin" when he had them delivered to Manuel Coto's ranch. He expected the farmer would nurse them back to health, according to a police source with knowledge of the investigation. A stable hand named Ariel, who transported the horses to Coto's ranch "as a favor" to Ortega, according to police, refused to comment for this story, simply saying, "That's Jorge's problem."

Ortega's legal troubles date back nearly two decades. In June 1992, the Cuban-born exile was arrested for soliciting a prostitute and carrying a concealed firearm. Both charges were eventually dropped, and the case file, as is common practice, was destroyed.

A raid on a Northwest Dade farm suspected of slaughtering horses implicated a Calder Race Course trainer.
C.M. Guerrero/Newscom
A raid on a Northwest Dade farm suspected of slaughtering horses implicated a Calder Race Course trainer.
Calder pony boy Jorge Ortega
Calder pony boy Jorge Ortega

Location Info


Calder Race Course

21001 NW 27th Ave.
Miami Gardens, FL 33056

Category: Sports and Recreation

Region: Miami Gardens

The next April saw him involved in a backcountry throwdown on a practice race track in Miami Gardens. After a manager ordered Ortega to leave the property, he "produced a nickel-plated .38 revolver," pointed it at the manager's stomach, and declared, "I'm fed up; you're dead," according to a police report. When the manager's sister attempted to close the ranch gate on Ortega, the report states, the pony boy got into his pickup and "attempted to run her over." Ortega was cuffed and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He pleaded no contest and was sentenced to one year of probation.

In the new millennium, Ortega's alleged crimes took a turn for the kinky. In 2000, he was again charged with a prostitution-related offense, for which he paid a fine of $136. And on an afternoon in May 2005, he was on Hobe Beach in Key Biscayne when he "initiated contact" with a female stranger, climbed into the front seat of his 2000 GMC pickup, and began openly masturbating, according a police report. The caper had a flaw: The woman was an off-duty Miami-Dade Police officer. She arrested him on the spot and had his truck impounded, but the indecent exposure charge was never prosecuted.

More recently, accusations of horse abuse have dogged Ortega. On June 18, 2008, a Calder Race Course trainer — who asked to remain anonymous — lodged a formal complaint with the DBPR. The complainant claimed that six days earlier, Ortega had continued to work a horse that "exhibited clear signs of being in serious distress... His eyes were glazed, and it was apparent the pony was nearing collapse. It was difficult to even look at this suffering animal."

Within hours, the horse, named Ugly, was dead.

A female jockey confirms the scene and claims she offered to buy the animal "on the spot" in order to save its life. "The horse was going through a heatstroke; it was quite obvious," recalls the jockey, who asked that her name not be used. "You have no right to own a fucking turtle if you can't tell an animal like that needs medical attention."

On December 29, 2008, another Calder trainer, Theresa Jane Turner, filed her own complaint with the DBPR, claiming Ortega was keeping his horses in "appalling" condition. "When every horse a person has, has its ribs, backbone, and pelvis showing as well as a shaggy dull coat and a lifeless appearance," Turner wrote, "it would seem to indicate a lack of care."

After both complaints, the DBPR conducted inspections of Ortega's animals and stables but found that the "general appearance and condition of the horses was very good and there was no indication the pony horses were being mistreated," explains spokesperson Alexis Antonacci Lambert.

Ortega might dodge a legal bullet once again. The police source says it could be "very difficult" to pin criminal charges on him because prosecutors would have to prove he knew the racehorses were headed to slaughter. But to Richard "Kudo" Couto — founder of the anti-cruelty organization Animal Recovery Mission and perhaps the county's most vocal opponent of illegal slaughter — the proper course of action is obvious: "He needs to be fired from any tracks he's working at, and he needs to have his license revoked."

Calder spokesperson Bob Harnish confirms there's a legal investigation into Ortega's connection to horse slaughter. "The moment we prove that anyone is providing horses to be slaughtered, they will be immediately banned from our facilities," he assures.

Harnish says he hasn't "heard or seen Jorge since the investigation began" and that the pony boy is now working mostly at Hialeah Park and Race Course. A spokesperson there referred New Times' inquiries about Ortega to a general manager, who did not return a phone message.

To investigator Couto, the problem is far larger than the plight of two horses. "It seems like every illegal slaughterhouse I go to, I find horses with tattoos on their lips," he says.

And Ortega apparently isn't the only Calder trainer dealing retired racehorses to Manuel Coto. In September 2009, Richard Couto rescued Freedom's Flight, a descendant of legendary racer Secretariat, from the farmer's illegal slaughterhouse. According to an Associated Press article, longtime Calder trainer Marian Brill admitted to selling the horse for $500 to a "man whose name she didn't know." Brill refused to comment for this story, citing an "ongoing investigation."

Even with innuendo and rumors flying, Manuel Coto maintains he's still open for business — if Jorge Ortega is. "If he brings me more horses, I'll buy them," the farmer declares. "Why not?"

« Previous Page
My Voice Nation Help
Miami Concert Tickets