Death Do Us Part

A murder-suicide left Hialeah Gardens in shock. There were warning signs.

News of the shooting came as a shock in Hialeah Gardens. One of the city's veteran police officers, 41-year-old Robert Gomez, and his fiancée, 33-year-old Martha Bernet, were killed June 26 in their home on NW 126th Terrace.

It was a murder-suicide, according to the Miami-Dade Police Department, which was assigned to investigate.

The Miami Herald reported on the deaths in a short story buried in the Metro section two days later. "Detectives declined to say who the shooter was," the newspaper wrote.

Robert Gomez poses with his K-9, Kelly
Courtesy of Lazaro M. Cabrera
Robert Gomez poses with his K-9, Kelly

Few would have guessed that Gomez, an easygoing man who was intensely loyal and attentive to his friends and family, could have killed his fiancée and then turned the gun on himself.

But then not many people realized the scope of Gomez's problems with his family and the Hialeah Gardens Police Department.

According to a source at Miami-Dade Police who asked to remain anonymous, Gomez was the shooter that night, and in the past decade, he had offered clues that one day he might self-destruct.

Back in September 1996, the Hialeah Gardens Police Department hired the five-foot-ten, 180-pound man as a patrol officer. At the time, he was a jail guard in Homestead with a lot of life experience. Gomez had served four years in the air force and boasted five children and three ex-wives. In 1990 he had declared bankruptcy after he was unable to pay about $9000 in bills.

Despite the personal problems, Gomez's record was squeaky-clean. "Applicant admits to having used two or three times marijuana in high school," his Hialeah Gardens personnel report reads. "Applicant has a consistent background, and no other detrimental information was discovered."

For Gomez the mid- to late Nineties were peaceful. He was still a newlywed with his fourth wife, Brenda, when he started on the Hialeah Gardens force. His early police performance reviews were excellent. "He shows the skill, attitude, and professionalism of a more experienced officer," stated one report. Additionally records indicate that Gomez wasn't the subject of any citizen complaints.

On April 11, 1997, his fourth child, Emily, was born. Three years later, Gomez had another daughter, Gracie. That same year, Gomez was promoted to become a field training officer and the department's only K-9 handler. Lazaro M. Cabrera, who owned a K-9 training and breeding service in Miami, provided Gomez with Kelly, a female Belgian Malinois. Cabrera and the Hialeah Gardens officer became fast friends.

"He was an extremely loyal friend and a great police officer," Cabrera says. "We spoke periodically on the phone, but even though we wouldn't speak as often as we could, Robert was always extremely attentive. He was a kind-hearted individual and of good nature."

But things began to change for Gomez on February 9, 2002.

That afternoon, Carlos Alvarez was driving his dump truck at NW 107th Avenue and 127th Street. A bearded man approached. He was wearing several layers of clothing and swinging a three-foot board. Alvarez stared at the lumber. Nails and spikes protruded from one end. He called police.

Two officers from the 30-man Hialeah Gardens force — Gomez and David Rodriguez — soon arrived and found FEC train engineer Scott Van Boxtel. He said he'd seen the man in a wooded area near the track.

The two officers walked into the foliage. Suddenly a man in his sixties, later identified as Samuel Lee Williams, appeared. When he brandished the nail-studded board, the officers retreated and sprayed mace. No effect.

"Drop the club," the officers told him.

The man wouldn't. He said he was God and then added, "You're not gonna shoot me. You're not gonna do anything."

Williams walked behind boxcars that were stopped nearby. Gomez and Rodriguez followed, guns drawn. The homeless man turned, raised the spiked club, and ran toward them. The officers began to retreat, but the earth surrendered beneath Gomez's black shoes. He fell. Williams drew to within three or four feet.

On the ground, Gomez fired his .40-caliber Glock. Rodriguez then squeezed the trigger of his gun as well. Six bullets hit Williams in the left shoulder, right elbow, chest, and abdomen, killing him.

Police later found a knife in Williams's waistband, and in a nearby shelter they turned up knives, spears, and a homemade crossbow.

Seven months after the shooting, on September 26, 2002, the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office cleared both officers, ruling that Gomez and Rodriguez fired their weapons in self-defense.

After that terrible day, Gomez's behavior came into question for the first time during his police career. In April 2003, Hialeah Gardens resident Aldo Oliveros complained that Gomez seemed to pick on him, threatening to jail him for placing bags of trash outside of his house. Gomez denied the allegation but was verbally reprimanded.

One month later, in May 2003, Hialeah Gardens Police received an e-mail from Rory J. Santana, a Florida Department of Transportation employee. Stuck in a traffic jam on the turnpike in Kendall, far south of Gomez's jurisdiction, Santana saw the Hialeah Gardens cop flash on his cherries and use the inside shoulder to drive past the jam.

"He went as far as a stalled vehicle blocking the shoulder at the overpass, then turned off his lights and merged back into traffic," Santana wrote.

Next Page »
My Voice Nation Help
Miami Concert Tickets