Haiti Stories

IC states that the Coast Guard cutter arrived in Port-au-Prince at 3:00 p.m. IC noted the presence of many soldiers and some foreign journalists on the docks. On his way to the Red Cross premises upon disembarkation, IC was accosted by one of the soldiers who asked him whether he had returned on the "American boat," and whether he had been amongst those who had criticized the Haitian military to the U.S. authorities. IC felt safe in the presence of the foreign journalists and therefore responded in the affirmative.

IC entered the Red Cross premises, was asked to sign some forms, was given U.S. $10, and left the building at approximately 8:00 p.m. IC alleges to have walked some distance away from the docks through circuitous routes in order to avoid the soldiers, but was intercepted by some soldiers who dragged him aside and beat him repeatedly claiming that he had left Haiti and denounced the Haitian military to the U.S.

IC returned to his domicile in Cite-Soleil. Two days later, soldiers came to his house and questioned him regarding the reasons for his departure from Haiti, and also asked him whether he had been a member of the FNCD. The soldiers left after having questioned him.

Five days later, IC's mother informed him that several of the other repatriates in Cite-Soleil had been similarly arrested and questioned by the military, and that two of them, Jean Claude and Tissant (last names unknown), had not been seen again after their arrest.

On the same day, the soldiers came a second time to IC's house. IC fled from his domicile and went to Petite Goave (his mother's birth place) by bus. The bus in which the IC traveled was not intercepted by the military. Upon arriving in Petit-Goave, he was informed by some of his friends there that one of them had been arrested by the local military and had been imprisoned for five days. Since IC had also worked as a "mandataire" of the FNCD in Petit-Goave, his friends informed him that he would not be safe there, and that the soldiers would be looking for him there as well. IC left Petit-Goave and went to La Gonave in a friend's boat.

IC: Saintil, Princivil
DOB: 12 February 1968
POB: Petit-Goave
POR: Petit-Goave

IC left Haiti on 13 November 1991, with (1) Bonnetemps, Ilomene (mother), (2) Jean, Marie [illegible] (sister),(3) Saintil, Marie Lourde (wife), (4) Bonnetemps, [illegible] (brother). IC was repatriated form GTMO on 17 November and arrived in Haiti on 18 November.

IC describes the presence of many soliders and armed civilians on the docks. The soldiers ordered the repatriates to assemble into two rows and walked them to the Red Cross bulding. IC was the first of his family to disembark from the cutter. Inside the Red Cross bulding, IC was taken to see Haitian immigration authorities. IC then spoke with a Red Cross official who registered his address. The Red Cross gave IC $10.

IC was separated from his family during the repatriate processing. IC left the Red Cross building at approximately 6:00 p.m. Outside the dockgate, he ran into a friend from Petit-Goave (a chauffeur) who drove him home. IC arrived in Petit-Goave between 9-10:00 p.m.

IC was informed by close friends that military was searching for seventeen persons in his neighborhood, who were targeted as Aristide supporters and as repatriates. The seventeen names had been announced at the barracks/station ("caserne") which IC claims were provided to the seven military posts between Petit-Goave and Port-au-Prince (PAP) by PAP authorities.

Three days later, soldiers in a white car came to IC's house to arrest him. IC escaped from his house through a back window, IC then left for La Gonave. While in hiding in La Gonave, IC met up with IC [illegible], Joseph, who had been repatriated with him. IC left Haiti for a second time on 9 January, along with IC's [illegible], Joseph, and Fito, Jean.

IC: Coffy, Herold
DOB: [illegible]
POB: Croix de Bouquet (Arcahale)
POR: Cite-Soleil (Port-au-Prince)

IC originally departed Haiti on 13 November 91. IC was returned to Haiti on 18 November 91, arriving in Port-au-Prince at approximately 3:00 p.m. IC was repatriated with a friend, Leslie Dorsa. IC states that there were many soldiers on the pier. IC was then taken to the Red Cross facility by soldiers, at approximately 3:30 p.m. IC was separated from his friend Dorsa, during disembarkation. IC explains that he was among the group of repatriates that entered the Red Cross facility while the USCG cutter and foreign journalists and other American civilians remained in the proximity of the building. IC estimates that he completed processing in the Red Cross at [illegible].

As IC left the dock area with several other repatriates, soldiers followed the group. The other repatriates waited for a bus to Leogane; IC quickly got on a bus for Carrefour. During IC's first week in Carrefour, IC's brother visited from Petit-Goave and told IC that he had seen soldiers kill IC's repatriate-friend Leslie Dorsa. His brother explained that soldiers had arrested Dorsa upon his arrival in Petit-Goave by bus from Port-au-Prince.

On 20-21 November, IC heard news of other repatriates on the radio station Radio Galaxie. The radio reported that the soldiers had beaten and shot many of the repatriates who returned to Haiti on a USCG cutter on 19 November. The report detailed that these murders had taken place on the streets near the dock area, as the repatriates were searching for transportation home. The report explained that the repatriates had been attacked because they had left Haiti and been returned from U.S. custody.

« Previous Page
Next Page »
My Voice Nation Help
Miami Concert Tickets